General Chemistry Placement Information

Who will take the General Chemistry Placement?

Students have not met the pre-requisite requirements (ACT Math >=25 or SAT Math >=570), but need to take CHEM 121 can take ALEKS placement (information given below) to meet the pre-requisite requirement.

  • For Fall 2017 only – if you have a passing grade (C or higher) from Math 121 or above, you can use it as the pre-requisite to register for CHEM 121/123L.

When should I take the placement?

You are advised to take the placement as early as possible. The sooner you can pass the placement, the sooner you can register for CHEM 121/123L. There are limited seats in these courses for each semester.  

Do I need to pay for the placement?  What does it cost?

Access to this ALEKS placement is free. If you experience any problem about ALEKS, you can contact ALEKS support with the contact information printed in the end of this instruction.

How to take the placement?

  • Please follow the link: Fall 2017
  • IMPORTANT NOTE: You CANNOT use more than 120 minutes (2 hours) to complete the initial or final assessment. If you spend more than the above time limit, your score will not be counted, and your placement will NOT be valid.

If you have a question about the placement, you can contact Dr. Ho (

Contact tech support at ALEKS related questions. They are very helpful, accessible and prompt!

Phone: (714) 619-7090 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Email: contact us at
Hours (Eastern Standard)

Sunday, 4:00 PM to 1:00 AM
Monday - Thursday, 7:00 AM to 1:00 AM
Friday, 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM