Terefe G Habteyes
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Arizona, May 2008
- M.S. in Chemistry, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, 2000
- B.S. in Chemistry, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, 1997
Our research focuses on deeper understanding of chromophore-metal interactions resolving observables in energy, space and time domains using apertureless near-field scanning optical microscopy and spectroscopy. Our near-field optical microscope achieves spatial resolution in the order of 10 nm, and we aim to exploit this unique capability of optical resolution to investigate energy and charge transfer that inherently takes place when the donor and acceptor materials are in close proximity (less than 30 nm separation). The research projects in our group includes
- Energy transfer in coupled quantum dot and plasmonic nanostructures
- DNA mediated optical coupling
- Semiconductor-metal hybrid nanomaterials
- Fabrication and optical characterization of plasmonic sensors and probes
Please visit our Research Homepage for more details.
Honors & Awards
- University of California President's Postdoctoral Fellowship
- The German Academic Exchange Service scholarship
- Gold Medal, Graduating Class Award, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
- T. G. Habteyes, S. Dhuey, E. Wood, S. Cabrini, P. J. Schuck, A. P. Alivisatos and S. R. Leone "Metallic adhesion layer induced plasmon damping and molecular linkers as a nondamping alternative" ACS Nano, 2012, 6, 5702.
- T. G. Habteyes, S. Dhuey, S. Cabrini, P. J. Schuck, and S. R. Leone "Theta-shaped plasmonic nanostructures: bringing 'dark' multipole plasmon resonances into action via conductive coupling" Nano Lett, 2011, 11, 1819.
- T. G. Habteyes, L. Velarde, and A. Sanov "Relaxation of (CS2)2 to Its Global Minimum Mediated by Water Molecules: A Photoelectron Imaging Study" J. Phys. Chem. A2008, 112, 10134 - 10140.
- L. Velarde, T. G. Habteyes, E. Grumbling, K. Pichugin, and A. Sanov "Solvent resonance effect on the anisotropy of NO (N2O)n cluster anion photodetachment" J. Chem. Phys., 2007, 127, 084302.
- T. G. Habteyes, L. Velarde, and A. Sanov "Solvent-enabled photodissociation of CO2 in water clusters" Chem. Phys. Lett., 2006, 424, 268-272.