- B.S. in Chemistry, 1999, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, 2004, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
- ACS-PRF Alternative Energy Postdoctoral Fellow, 2004-2007, Department of Chemistry, University of Texas, Austin, TX
Our research focuses on understanding structure-function relationships in organic semiconductor materials from the nano- to microscale size ranges. We are particularly interested in conjugated polymer molecules that are candidate materials for use in field- effect transistors, light-emitting diodes and solar cells. The manner in which polymer molecules fold and pack has a profound influence on rates and distance scales of key electronic processes, such charge and energy transfer. We use advanced single molecule and spectroscopic imaging techniques to unravel complex structure-dependent photophysics in various polymer functional forms. In addition, we are able to simultaneously measure electrical properties in model device structures to establish true structure-function correlations not available from other physical techniques. Students involved in this research work in a highly multi-disciplinary environment and benefit from working on technologically relevant problems of great importance to society.
Honors & Awards
- NSF CAREER award
- ACS-PRF Doctoral New Investigator award
- ORAU Ralph Powe junior faculty award
- Regents' Lecturer
- J. K. Grey* “Resonance Raman spectroscopy and imaging of Franck-Condon vibrational activity in conjugated polymers for solar cells” Accounts of Chemical Research (2019) 52, 2221-2231. (most downloaded article July 2019)
- D. Datko, R. T. Grimm, D. J. Walwark, B. Burnside and J. K. Grey* “Resolving population dynamics and interactions of multiple triplet excitons one molecule at a time”Journal of Chemical Physics (2019) (Special Edition on Singlet Fission) DOI: 10.1063/1.5099920.
B. D. Datko, M. Livshits, Z. Zhang, Y. Qin, E. Jakubikova, J. J. Rack and J. K. Grey* “Large excited state conformational displacements expedite triplet formation in a small conjugated oligomer” Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters (2019) 10, 1259-1263.
B. D. Datko and J. K. Grey* “Stochastic photodynamic modeling of multi-exciton annihilation and interactions on single conjugated polymer chains” Scientific Reports (2019) 9, 817-825.
G. C. Canning, A. K. Thomas, D. H. Dunlap and J. K. Grey* “Morphological contributions to interfacial charge trapping and non-geminate recombination in polymer solar cells revealed by UV light soaking” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces(2018) 10, 19853-19862.
- A. K. Thomas, B. D. Datko; H. A. Brown,† J. A. Garcia, J. K. Grey* “Interchain charge transfer states mediate triplet formation in purified conjugated polymer aggregates” Journal of Physical Chemistry C (2016) 120, 23230-23238.